Monday 22 February 2010

Will Avatar make a difference?

This weekend I became about the last person in Britain to see Avatar, the biggest grossing film of all time. The storyline was as banal and predictable as I expected, and, as someone who suffers from vertigo, I found the leaping around from tree to clifftop in 3D excruciatingly painful. But the special effects were incredible and there were plenty of moments which had me jumping out of my seat or reaching for the security of my girlfriend's arms!

The bigger question for me is - will Avatar make any difference? Will the world's cinemagoers see it as a parable of our times, a warning about how we are increasingly living out of synch with nature, about how our greed for natural resources is in danger of destroying all life on our planet? Or will it come to be seen as just a great night out at the cinema?

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering the same thing after watching the movie 2 days ago. Sadly, I don't think it will make any difference, not in our treatment of nature anyway. If there's to be a difference, it may be in our increased investment in technology to take us away from the real world. I can see a future where people work just enough to be able to spend the rest of their lives in some sort of virtual reality. It's only a short matter of time before we connect brain signalling with virtual technology and then the sky's the limit.

    Cheers,
    nostromo from The Daily Razor

    ReplyDelete