Sunday 27 April 2008

Ken To "Save Post Office & Work With LibDems"

Ken Livingstone was recently quoted in the Ham& High newspaper as saying that he would save our threatened post offices if he were to be re-elected. But nothing appeared on his website or in his campaign literature confirming that pledge. So I wrote to him asking for confirmation. Here's what he said in reply:

Dear Alexis,
Many thanks for your e-mail. I believe that the proposal to close 171 post offices in London is totally unacceptable. Post offices are a vital part of the life of every local community, especially for the most disadvantaged Londoners.
That is why I am mounting a legal challenge to the post office closures in the High Court. My legal advice is that we have strong grounds to challenge the totally inadequate consultation on this issue.
If the legal challenge is unsuccessful, as Mayor, I have wide powers under the Greater London Authority Act to promote economic and social development in our city and I intend to use them fully to do everything in my power, if re-elected, to make sure that vital post offices stay open.
Thank you for writing in.
Yours sincerely, Ken Livingstone

If he wins, we certainly shouldn't let him forget this pledge.

He's also now reached out to Lib Dems as I told him he had to when I bumped into him on the Kilburn High Road recently. Read Ken's Open Letter to Lib Dems here.

No comments:

Post a Comment